Sunday, March 11, 2007

Pushover?

Someone close to me asked me today not to breastfeed at his party because he thought it would freak his friends out.

Someone close to me. I've never even been asked that by a stranger in a shop. In fact I've never had anything except positive feedback for breastfeeding in public. I feed anywhere I happen to be and have never felt ashamed. I've never even thought of it as an issue before. It's just so natural.

I was so shocked I actually didn't know whether I was being unreasonable in being hurt and angry at the request. I didn't really respond cause I didn't know what the response should be. Now that I've had time to process it I think I should have told him to get F'd. In the words of my sister, "there are laws against that sort of thing"!

So really, my thoughts and wonderings are this: Why am I such a pushover? Why didn't I just tell him where to go when he said it? I am always like that with friends and family, not really willing to rock the boat. I'm not so bad with strangers, more willing to let them know how I feel. Why the difference? I guess because I don't have to see the strangers again, so if I upset them or make things awkward it doesn't matter.

Hmm, one to think about I guess, as I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing. It's interesting though, cause I'm sure if you ask any of my friends they would say I'm never shy to let people know what I think.

Enough thinking and wondering about myself for now.
Bye.

No comments: